For many of us, working from home has become our new normal. But let’s face it – between an intense global pandemic, continued civil unrest, countless lockdowns, and a literal governmental coup, focusing on work or generally being productive can feel utterly impossible. It’s even harder when you live in a small space, or have never worked from home before. If you’re having a hard time hitting those deadlines, we’ve compiled a list of some of our favorite work-from-home products and tips to reset your workspace in 2021. From setting up a space saving, cozy, urban office to styling a functional work desk, refreshing your WFH space could add a little sparkle to some otherwise dark days.
1. Get a proper, space saving desk!
Trying to work from your couch, floor, or dining table is a pretty solid way to ensure you get very little done. Having a dedicated workspace makes all the difference. Get a desk – but make sure it’s multifunctional! I suggest two varieties – ladder desks and floating desks with storage. Ladder desks come with stylish shelving overhead so you can get all of your wires, work binders, printer, and whatever else off of the floor and neatly laid out. The best part is, you can store your books there as well, decorate the shelving with art, and even tuck away your computers when 5 o’clock hits.
If your landlord allows you to drill holes in the wall, get a foldable, wall mounted desk to free up necessary floor space. Keep the floor cluttered free and light. These are the ultimate space saver.
2. Use desk risers.
Creating different levels on your desk doubles your storage space, and allows you to add some decorative items. Store your flatter items on your main desk level while putting taller items, such as pens, desk lamps, plants, and coffee mugs on the riser. Fun fact: these can also be used in kitchens, bathrooms, and window sills!
3. Spruce up your desk lighting!
For the nights when you may be burning the midnight oil, invest in some beautiful lighting.
4. Have a dedicated space for your phone, rings, pens, and other small knick knacks with this stylish West Elm desk bark.
5. Use a daily planner to lay out exactly what you want to accomplish each day, and each week. You’ll feel more productive as you cross off item after item and track your progress.
6. Hide all your ugly cords!
7. Get an all-in-one matching organizing set.
8. Get a proper printer – because running out to print at the local library or copy store not only wastes time, but also wastes money.
Pro Tip: Make sure it’s wireless, and has a built in scanner.
9. Get a combination work and dining chair! If your living room serves as your dining room and office, get a chair that’s a combination. Who wants to look at an ugly office chair all day?
Pro-Tip: Don’t forget to get up and walk around (outdoors, safely or indoors) to get your blood flowing throughout the day.
10. Get a legit office chair, if that’s your thing – but make sure it’s stylish!
11. Blue light glasses will literally save you from migraines, eye strain, and dry eyes.
We hope these ideas make your work from home space a bit brighter during these crazy times, Pretty Birds! Wishing you an abundance of productivity as we all hit the reset button in 2021.
Lead image by Valentina Sommariva via Architectural Digest
Related Posts in Wellness: