In the News This Week
Tamu McPherson | Monday May 8th 2017
In the news this week By Team ATPB
With the state of current affairs in the US and around the world, we’re staying up to date on as much news as we can. Like many of you, we devour everything that is published on the Trump administration in an effort to keep informed about its horrible policies and so that we can share them with everyone we know (read about them every month in Nia’s “F*ck Donald Trump” series). Here’s a list of the articles and headlines about Trump and beyond that caught our attention this weekend. Check back every Monday and Friday for weekly updates. And, please share any articles that catch your attention, because sharing information is one of the most important things you can do at this moment.
- Emmanuel Macron has won a historic French election.
At just 39, Emmanuel Macron is France’s youngest leader ever since Napolean Bonaparte, who took power at age 40. He launched a new party from scratch 13 months ago called En Marche! (On the Move!).
- House Republicans approved their plan to replace the Affordable Care Act. Barack Obama calls on lawmakers to be courageous in opposing the Republican Health Bill.
If the Senate approves key provisions and the bill becomes law buying insurance, tax credits, tax cuts, Medicaid, pre-existing conditions, and state waivers would be affected.
- A Dallas County Judge issued an arrest warrant for Roy Oliver, the officer who shot and killed 15 year old Jordan Edwards.
Roy Oliver has been fired and charged with murder. The family of Jordan Edwards has sued the officer and his department, claiming it didnt provide enough training on deadly force.
- Brad Pitt opens up about his split from Angelina Jolie for the first time.
In an interview with GQ Style Pitt revealed that he’s stopped drinking and is in therapy.
- We’re talking about Oscar-nominated actress Gabourey Sidibe’s memoir “This is Just My Face: Try Not to Stare“
Gabourey Sidibe gives readers a version of the American experience different from what we’ve read as she discusses a tough upbringing, celebrity, weight, friendship and race.
Image Courtesy of Francois Mori.